Wednesday 5 November 2008

bye bye 4 now 2 UB

Am brain dead. Have spent the afternoon helping Oiuna with her English idioms homework. After a while I felt like throwing in the towel, at the strangeness of it all. I could not keep my eye on the ball. One could become as mad as a hatter trying to explain things like catching the waiter's eye, let alone changing the goalposts and being boxed into a corner. And how about hitting the road, and being wet behind the ears? Is this what Alice felt like in Wonderland, when the familiar suddenly seems wondrous strange?

Tomorrow we leave for Beijing by the 8am train. 30 hours later we will be there. Back to the confines of our compartment, and to pot noodle.
I part reluctantly from this Internet Cafe, as I have become familiar with it, and can operate solo without help from strangers (although I will be glad to see the back of screeching teenagers).
I part sadly from Mongolia too. Its been great here, and I don't imagine I'll be passing this way again.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Mahananda, It's Saturday 8th Nov (or rather Sun now, as it's 01:49 am) I've spent a delightful day and evening with Nagasiddhi who has escaped Rivendell and a women's Order weekend for the smoke of Brighton. I came to bed and found the time, at last, I'm ashamed to say, to read your blog, my first visit!! Absolutely gripping, fascinating and alluring. I can't wait for the next posting from Beijing. News from here? I guess you heard that the US has voted Barak Obama in and the pound still slides to new lows. More than that I can't tell you as I've been in a spin myself. I returned from a three week stint in California, as a 5Rhythms Teacher!! It's done, and now I'm hastily tearing through a mound of work, towards the completion of my employment as an accountant in London. (It appears I got away with it for 29 years, noone ever really suspected I was unqualified!). So, December will see me breathe space into my life, and still await the possibility of work in New York. If the authorities decide that I am allowed to enter. Perhaps Barak will loosen the rules for us unruly English. Anway, I trust you are well and safe in China and they are friendlier than you have been led to believe. Much love from me and Brighton, Tim xx